Friday, November 1, 2013

Treasure or Just Junk -- by Josie Mathis


So, I must say I have had quite a bit of difficulty editing and getting this blog written today! It kept spacing in weird places and wouldn't let me correct things, but several hours later, hopefully I prevail! 


For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 
Matthew 6:21

     Have you ever come to a point where you look around your home and are overwhelmed, perhaps even slightly disgusted by all of the THINGS cluttering up space? I don't know if it is just me, but I believe others experience this same stage in life, if that is what one would call it. 
     I can remember back a few years ago when a spirited young woman I know decided she'd had enough of all the junk and began tossing out all sorts of items. At the time I thought, there's a lot of good stuff here; why would she get rid of these perfectly good items. Well, perhaps I have now reached this 'stage' so to speak, because it all seems so clear to me now. 
----She was simply tired of all the JUNK!! What was once perhaps treasure to her was now junk to be discarded, clutter taking up valuable space.
     You may be wondering where I am going with this, hang tight we'll get there in a moment.
     I, over the past month or so, have begun to look around my home wondering why I have so many things taking up space, and why exactly did I ever need that particular item or another. I had already begun to  get rid of a few items here and there. However, thanks to the recent FFHSC garage sale I have been encouraged to take a step forward and really examine things and get rid of all the excess. 
     So yesterday I made use of the rainy day and began in my kitchen. Two huge garbage bags  and a box to save for a sale later, my kitchen has so much available space I find myself amazed that much space was filled with things I never use. Of course there are still those things that we use only a few times a year that must be kept. But, let's be honest with ourselves, how much are we hoarding or holding on to that we absolutely do NOT need?

     Now, look at our spiritual home. What about our daily life? How many things have we stuffed into our spirit man deeming it a kind of treasure? How many things do we continuously fill up our day with? These things have become our treasure...Is it really treasure? Or is it just a bunch of junk? Often times we have to take a step back from 
ourselves and ask... Is this something I truly need, or simply something I want? Perhaps I may not even want it once I get it, or a week, or a month from now. 

     As the holidays approach, we see much controversy about Christmas. Can students sing Christmas carols or towns display Christmas trees? I am reminded of part of the Grinch movie; I believe the line was...You people want all of this stuff, you just HAVE to have it! But a month from now it all comes to me in the garbage dump!!
     Wow! Is this not so very true! Not only with physical things, but spiritual as well? What will we fill ourselves up with? Are all these things important, needful, Godly? Will we wake up and realize our home is filled with real treasure or just junk?
     Let us look at the situation from a different angle. Perhaps in our 'housecleaning' we will find lost treasure; a spiritual gift that our Father gave us, and we've neglected it and stuffed it, hidden away somewhere. Are we using the treasures God has given us, or have we replaced that treasure with a fake?

     Maybe we simply need to ask ourselves ---- not what our treasure is ---- but whom? 

Who holds your heart today? Do you place more value on the Things in life or on the PEOPLE in it and the SAVIOR who gave His life for us? 

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV)


I leave you with this link I found... A beautiful song and reminder of where I want my heart to be.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjkVe_9pLY

No comments:

Post a Comment