Friday, October 18, 2013

JosieAnn Mathis: Memory Lane




As most of you know, or have noticed, my beloved Michael has been working a lot lately. So, this morning I am going to try to write his blog for him. I know you've read my writings here before, but Michael finalized everything and posted it, so I am in uncharted waters.   =)

Autumn! Joyful, crisp, mornings just like today are part of what makes me absolutely love this season! With the joy and delight I find in this season, I also find touches of sadness and wistful memories. You see, this was also my favorite time of year with my dad! Oh, the fun times full of cozy campfires and crazy home-made tents are many. My dad loved to run rabbit dogs(aka Beagles) all the time. Bro. BJ Kilpatrick can attest to that. He also loved making my poor baby sister Betsy (aka 'my little helper') do everything for him. Lol 

This December will be 12 years since he went home to be with Jesus. And do we ever miss him so! This time of year always brings with it so many memories. Some not so good, but mostly those of joyful times. Last year, all during Christmas time someone's hunting dogs were running by my house almost daily. It brought back quite a lot of wistfulness and also some tears. But even during the heartache, in a strange way, it also brought me comfort. It was like The Lord was stirring up those good times in my mind and maybe, just maybe, saying "I haven't forgotten you, or the sorrow in your heart. I am here for you, just a breath away." 

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8, 9 NLT)

Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.... Isn't it amazing how we can choose what to remember. The good things that God gives us are most certainly worthy of praising Him! And I believe, yes, that also includes memories with those we love. Perhaps you have lost a loved one. I am quite sure we all have those certain times that will remind us more of that loved one than other times. Allow yourself to walk down that memory lane! God gives us those memories, after all. And He is with you every step of the way, to bring you comfort and the peace you need.

All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4 NLT)

Dear family of God, never think you are alone! For we are your brothers and sisters, your family. We are here to share God's comfort and His love. Those times when you feel so desperate for a physical touch from your Father, God, and a brother or sister in Christ hugs you close, it is His arms reaching through their obedience and holding you close to Him! It is His comfort and peace that radiates from those who serve Him and are willing to be His vessel. So many of you comment about my hugs (thanks for loving the hugs and me! Lol); I am simply a willing vessel to pass on God's love through me. So, the next time you are feeling wistful from a walk down memory lane, or if you just need God's touch, find comfort in the arms of your Savior -Godly brothers and sisters- to bring you the comfort you seek.

So today, find in present joys or in memories past, and maybe a willing vessel of God, you too can find that Life is So Sweet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment