Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Testimony Tuesday: Danielle Sharp

~Scripture of the day~
Psalms 18:2

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Today, we have a testimony from Danielle Sharp, one of the young ladies from freedom fellowship's youth ministry.
This is an awesome blessing for you today!

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12

 I was ten years old the first time I dedicated my life to God. I don’t remember much about it other than the fact that I was baptized in February, and that the heater was broken in the baptistery and I nearly froze to death. Looking back now, it’s sad to see that that is all that I remember about my salvation. I don’t remember the warm fuzzy feeling of when I first asked Christ into my heart. I don’t remember the indescribable peace felt when I laid my head on my pillow that night. I never realized the complete weight of my decision and the sincerity that should come with it.

“Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:30-31

 As I grew older, I drifted farther and farther away from God. My first year of high school was brutal. High School is a time of discovery for most people, and the majority of my ‘friends’ went in completely opposite directions than me. I tried to straddle the line between the world and God. In the blink of an eye, I had lost all familiarity with my friends, myself, and Him. I had no idea what to do with myself, and that’s when I began my downward spiral.

“Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am God. I will strengthen you. I will uphold you in my righteous right hand” Isaiah 41:10

 The third leading cause of death in teenagers is suicide. At least 25% of high school students have reported depression or suicidal thoughts. By the time I reached my mid-high school years, I became part of this statistic. My feeling of self-worth completely deteriorated, and I had no motivation for living anymore. I realize that it seems crazy that a teenager who has their whole life ahead of them would want to stop before they really even began, but I didn’t want to wait for life to get better. I began to physically harm myself to try and fill the emptiness inside of me. After this began, I never wanted to speak of church, much less go to church. I became bitter to God and I let the enemy steal what I could have.

“Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord shall be praised.” Proverbs 31:30

 In April, a young man in our church passed away. He was so full of life and fire for God, and after he passed I felt an obligation to not give up on life. I realized that God knew exactly what he was doing and that I could not stop His will from happening.

 “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:18

 Soon after, I found myself on a charter bus to the happiest place on earth. Discovery Camp. Seriously, Disney World could never compare to how awesome this place is. I went with an expectant heart and desire for the Lord to show me His will in my life. Appropriately named, the theme was The Big Picture. The primary focus was on God’s entire plan for your life instead of just the here and now. The first night I was able to completely release the inhibitions I had been holding on to. I had to let go and let God. As soon as they called for people to come to the front after the service, I ran like there was no tomorrow. I can say confidently that as soon as I stepped in the isle I felt the burdens lift off of my shoulders and crumple at my feet. That was the warm-fuzzy feeling I was missing from my first salvation. That night when I laid my weary head on my deflated mattress, I felt the most amazing sense of peace. A peace that would never have been attainable by me alone.

“She is clothed in strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.” Proverbs 31:25

 When we usually return home from camp, I feel like the passion and yearning I experience for God fizzles out. However, this year I have had a desire placed in my heart to keep climbing up the mountain. I want to stretch and reach and push to become all that God has planned for me.

 I began my senior year of high school almost six weeks ago. I had to give up a few things that took a major part in my former life. I had to say goodbye to good friends. It hasn’t been easy, but it has definitely been worth it. I still struggle and fall down, but my faith has rooted me to a strong foundation that can translate to my adulthood. But God has given me unbelievable strength to weather any storm. Regardless of what happens in the future, I know that I am one of God’s children. I can’t wait until the day comes that I hear “Well done thou good and faithful servant.”

                     Life is so sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment