Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Passion and defeat


Have you ever felt passionate about something? What about quitting, I'm not the only one that has felt like quitting or has quit on something, am I? I know the answer....we all feel passion and defeat. We all have highs and lows, that's why we must patiently run the race!

Isaiah 40:31
But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.


So here is a passion I have, my teenagers! I love them, obviously, I mean who in their right mind will be right in the middle of 55 teenagers, Lol?! Joking, kidding, rough housing, praying, ministering, comforting; all apart of the joy of being a youth pastor (oh! Almost forgot, DRAMA!). One of the young adults recently told Josie and I, how much we had made a difference in his life and how much he appreciated us. I was overwhelmed! It overwhelms me now as I write. It humbles me and makes me realize the tremendous responsibility and influence that any of us have on kids and young people. I love young people, and it's the times like these that help me wade through the defeat.

So, here is the defeat side. I was talking to my brother in Christ and co-youth pastor (over senior high) about the times when I felt like throwing in the towel and there are times, believe me. Things happen, sometimes nothing goes right or you feel like you aren't making an impact on anyone. I know this to be not true though.

You see, these are the tools and tactics of satan: the lies, the deceit, the way he tries to slip in and cause friction between the leadership of a church, works to destroy marriages, tempts young people with the lusts and desires of the world. He works day and night to "steal, kill, and destroy." He is a thief and we must recognize what he is trying to steal! We must not give place to the devil.

Ephesians 4:26-27 KJV
Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: neither give place to the devil.


1 Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour
.

It's a rough road at times, and I don't feel like pressing in all the time, but God has called me and you to a certain place. We are where we are for a reason: right time, right place, doing the right thing. So when I feel like quitting, God reminds me about the things that matter! There are young people that need to be loved on, cherished and cared for. I love to see them worship God and it makes my heart dance when they seek the Lord's face! I am reminded of where God has placed me.

What I really want you to get out of this, is to remember what you are doing and why you are doing it. The ministry God has placed you in, remember God's blessings and rejoice in the good things that God has done and is doing in your life. It's only time to move when the Lord says move, otherwise take joy in what you do for the Lord today and don't forget that "we have overcome (defeat) by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony!"

No comments:

Post a Comment